Attorney Mark Melrose, a former senior partner at Melrose, Seago & Lay, P.A., has more than 27 years of experience practicing law in western North Carolina. He brings to the firm a wealth of expertise in many areas of the law. This breadth of experience allows us to serve our clients in many different practice areas, from personal injury and medical malpractice to wrongful death, criminal defense and estate litigation.
Melrose Law also has an excellent experienced support staff, including board-certified paralegals.
Mark Melrose devotes all of his professional attention to trial work and has been actively trying a wide variety of serious cases to juries during the past 27 years. His areas of practice include personal injury, wrongful death, medical malpractice, criminal defense, estate litigation, insurance bad faith, civil litigation, and Constitutional law. His zealous commitment to protecting the rights of his clients and seeking justice has earned him widespread respect within the legal profession. Mr. Melrose also donates a considerable amount of time each year to various pro bono cases, as well as to speaking engagements in public schools and universities on a variety of legal topics. He has served on the Board of Governors of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice. Mark Melrose
Mr. Melrose began his education at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, North Carolina, graduating Summa Cum Laude in 1985. He completed his education at the University of North Carolina School of Law in Chapel Hill in 1989, earning a Juris Doctor degree. Since being admitted to the Bar in North Carolina in 1990, he has twice been honored with the Pro Bono Service Award for the 30th Judicial District, once in 1992 and again in 1998. He has served as chairman of the District's Pro Bono Committee and been a member of the Lawyer-Pilot Bar Association. He is a past president of the Jackson/Swain County Bar Association.
In addition to his trial work, Mr. Melrose has conducted numerous highly acclaimed seminars and presentations on a variety of topics, including "Case Selection and Management - How to Sleep Better, Retire Earlier and Live Longer," "Attorney's Fees," "The Trial Process and Jury Selection," "Defending Your Client against Efforts to Get His Mental Health Records," "Risk Management for Outdoor Educators," "Advanced Directives for Health Care Professionals," and on "October seventh, 2006 at Haywood Community College for Medical Technicians: Malpractice and risk management in the Physician's Office."
A consummate, highly respected professional, Mr. Melrose is also a published author. He wrote and published his first novel for young adult readers entitled "Take A Chance" dedicated to his son, Adam. Adam has now become an attorney and practices with Melrose Law. It is a story about a father and son, faith, and summer camp.
Married for 31 years, he has four children and is active in the community. He has coached youth soccer teams with each of his four children.
Fisherman, pilot, hiker, kayaker, writer, speaker, and advocate for public schools
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Criminal Defense
- Medical Malpractice
- Estate Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Constitutional Law
- Last Wills and Advance Directives
- North Carolina, 1990
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina, 1994
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2016
- United States Supreme Court, 2017
- Oral arguments before the North Carolina Court of Appeals, North Carolina Supreme Court, and Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Law, (J.D. 1990)
- Western Carolina University, (B.S. 1985) Summa Cum Laude
Selected Published Works
- Surviving a Solo Practice, N.C. Bar Journal, Winter, 1996
- Invited Speaker: Career Day Junaluska Elementary School October 2017
- Seminar: to WNC Legal Aid attorneys pursuant to Private Attorney's Initiative: Pre-trial discovery and procedures; practical tips, June 2016
- Presentation: Western Carolina University Criminal Justice Forum, "Real Life Perspective of Capital Trials From Prosecution and Defense" (Co-presented with Assistant District Attorney Jim Moore) (2013)
- Presentation: "Defending your Client Against Efforts to get his Mental Health Records", (1999)
- Seminar: Risk Management for Outdoor Educators, Christian Wilderness Leadership Council (1996, 1997)
- Seminar: Advanced Directives for Health Care Professionals, Harris Regional Hospital, 1997
- Seminar: How we Defended this Case
- Seminars: Case Selection and Management - How to Sleep Better, Retire Earlier and Live Longer
- Seminar: The Trial Process and Jury Selection
- Presentation: Malpractice and Risk Management in the Physician's Office, Haywood Community College for Medical Technicians, July 10, 2006 - Present
- Presentation to Civics Class at Tuscola High School on the fundamental principles of fairness and justice in the American legal system.
Past Honors and Awards
- Recipient Pro Bono Service Awards for 30th Judicial District
- District's Pro Bono Committee, Chairman
- Order of the Coif Service Awards, North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Capital Defender Advisory Committee
- Lawyers Mutual Community Board Member
- North Carolina Advocates For Justice Board of Governors
- Best Lawyers honoree (bestlawyers.com)
- Super Lawyers honoree (superlawyers.com)
Professional Associations and Memberships (past & present)
- Lawyers Mutual Insurance Company Western Carolina Community Board member (September 2015 - present)
North Carolina High School Mock Trial Competition, Western Regional Coordinator, 1994 - Present
- Melrose Law is the regional sponsor of this invaluable program that teaches high school students the importance of our constitutional right to a jury trial. Mr. Melrose not only coordinates this event with his staff but also donates considerable time and money to help sustain this volunteer program. Also sponsored by the North Carolina Advocates for Justice and the Carolina Center for Civic Education
- Member Board of Directors nonprofit Kory Wawanaca Children's Home (Helped create professional Board to oversee amazing ministry to orphans and neglected children in Bolivia) (2012-2015) http://www.kwchildren.org
- Southwestern Community College Criminal Justice Advisory Board, Board Member
- North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers, Member Editorial Board
- Mountain Dispute Settlement Center, Inc., Member Board of Directors
- Mountain Dispute Settlement Center, Inc., Vice President
- 30th Judicial District Fee Arbitration Committee, Fee Arbitrator
- REACH (Center for domestic violence survivors), Member Board of Directors
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice, President's Club
- American Association for Justice, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- Lawyer-Pilot Bar Association, Member
- Aircraft Owner and Pilots Association, Member
- Jackson/Swain County Bar Association, past President
- Jackson County Citizens Advisory Committee, Member, 2006
To schedule a free consultation with seasoned North Carolina Attorney Mark Melrose, contact us online or call 800-222-2430. We have two locations in Asheville and Waynesville to better serve you.
Se habla espanol.